McAdams Law
Legal Excellence Backed By A Record Of Success SE HABLA ESPAÑOL
Call Today 212-257-9425

If You Intend To Travel With a Minor, Make Sure You Get Your Ex's Consent to a Passport

Current laws require the consent of both parents in order to obtain a Passport for a child under 16 years of age. Sometimes when a divorce is finalized, and one parent wants to take one or more of the kids on an overseas trip, the other will object. Frequently it is based on a fear of the ex kidnapping the children, and then winding up embroiled in an international legal battle. If you think you may want to travel with your kids, have your attorney negotiate to make your ex-spouse agree to approve a Passport application on request. There should be specific language to that effect included in your settlement agreement. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Review Us