McAdams Law
Legal Excellence Backed By A Record Of Success SE HABLA ESPAÑOL
Call Today 212-257-9425

Sue Your Landlord for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress

If you rent from a landlord who is for all practical purposes a slumlord, and is negligent in failing to make repairs in a willful or wanton way, your lawyer may be able to make a claim for emotional distress. Specifically, the distress must be caused by fear of dangerous conditions in your apartment, in order to be considered valid and permit recovery of punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish for malicious behavior. This isn't an easy claim to prove, however if your landlord's conduct is truly egregious, and your apartment conditions are terrible, your lawyer may pursue it and a judge may make a favorable ruling. It helps if you have a history of emotional illness, and can demonstrate deterioration of your condition. For example, if you have more visits to a psychotherapist, or an increase or changes to medication, it helps to substantiate your position. However, it's not a good idea to try making this kind of claim on your own. Get proper representation. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Review Us