McAdams Law
Legal Excellence Backed By A Record Of Success SE HABLA ESPAÑOL
Call Today 212-257-9425

If You Can't Sublet, then Assign

Let's say you get a terrific job opportunity that requires you to move. You're in the midst of a lease, whether rent-stabilized or unregulated. The circumstances are such that you cannot sublet your apartment - there may be legal or practical reasons for this, perhaps both. Are you stuck? Not necessarily. You can ask your landlord to permit you to assign your rights in the lease to another tenant, of similar financial capacity and credit-worthiness. Under the law, your landlord cannot unreasonably withhold consent to accept the assignment. If he or she does, then you have the right to be released from your lease obligations with 30 days notice of your intent to vacate. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Review Us